Wednesday, March 2, 2011

SAGE BURIAL SITE AT HINTON BLEWETT, SOMERSET, ENGLAND

Litton is a small village and civil parish between Chewton Mendip and West Harptree in the Mendip Hills, Somerset, England.  The parish includes the hamlet of Sherborne. Very close to the village are the Litton Reservoirs.
The churches of this time period were Church of England (Anglican) and this one is a good example of 13th century architecture with the font being 14th century.
My 3rd great grandparents Jesse and Anna's headstone is in the middle of the picture under the triple panes of glass and nearest the path.  The church is still used for regular worship services to this day.



I think the level of preservation is pretty remarkable.  As I look down the aisle I am seeing what my ancestors saw in the very early 1800's.

No comments:

Post a Comment